I made this new dish tonight that was very inspiring! You can enjoy this as an appetizer or main dish! Cinco de Mayo is around the corner, and this dish would be perfect for a party!
This dish was adapted and altered from the back of a Trader Joe’s Organic Red Quinoa box! Thank you Joe! The dressing recipe was altered from a Betty Crocker recipe I found. Thank you Betty! This could be served as a salad or as a main dish like I enjoyed it tonight. The warm red quinoa was amazing! This dish is beautiful, different and deliciously vegan!
Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad Over Red Quinoa with Cilantro Dressing
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth (I love “better than boullian” brand)
- 1 Cup Red Quinoa, cooked in vegetable broth (above)
- 1-15 oz Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed (half or whole can)
- 1 Cup Frozen Sweet Corn Kernels, thawed
- 1/2 Avocado, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Cup Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Red Onion, finely diced
- Olive Oil- Anywhere from a drizzle to 1/8 Cup
- Zest of 1/2 Lime
- 1/2 bunch of Cilantro, chopped (Taste this dish with dressing before you add it! Some like it, I didn’t think mine needed it. It’s here on the list just in case. If you don’t mix it into the salad, you can garnish with it)
- Cilantro Dressing (see below)
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
Cook quinoa with broth according to package directions.
While quinoa is cooking, combine beans, corn, avocado, tomatoes and onion and top with Cilantro dressing (the recipe is below) and toss gently. Taste, as it may not need any more salt (mine did not). Add salt and pepper if desired and the lime zest to taste (I added the full 1/2 lime zest). Add 1/2 of the chopped cilantro, if desired, and gently toss once more and set aside.
When quinoa is cooked, spread evenly onto a large platter and top with the bean mixture. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Chopped Cilantro
- 3 Tbs White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- Squirt of Agave Nectar
Place all ingredients in a container with tight fitting lid and shake! Taste and adjust.
Notes* I didn’t add the extra chopped cilantro to the dish because I felt that it didn’t need more after tasting it with the dressing. That could be because I used more dressing to salad ratio. Also, if serving more people, you may want to use a whole can of beans, 2 cups corn, whole avocado, 1 pint grape tomatoes, 1/2 cup red onion and zest of 1 lime. You may or may not need to double the dressing. Doubling this recipe may require using more of that chopped cilantro!
Let the quinoa cool before topping it if serving as a salad, or top it and eat it warm right away! Mmmmm. Mmm